Wednesday, May 18, 2005

166. Alfred

My employer's recovery continues, albeit in halting fashion. Master Bruce has grown more communicative of late, but he has clearly been profoundly affected by the hasty and unexplained departure of Master Richard several days ago. There is a sadness in his eyes that both surprises me and breaks my heart.

He has not been down into the batcave, has made no mention of that side of his life. At the same time, he has done little to resume control of the Wayne organization, either.

He strikes me as a man in limbo, unsure where to go or what to do next. He spends far more time outdoors than he has ever done in the past, however, and the exposure to sunlight must be restorative on some level, given his natural proclivity for darkness.

I suppose I should be happy he is alive. But is what he is now experiencing anything resembling a "life"?