Friday, July 29, 2005

178. Alfred

Master Bruce has been gone for almost two weeks now and has given me no indication of how long it will be before he returns. (The usual safeguards, cover stories, and contingency plans apply, as always.) Naturally I worry about him, even though he has assured me his current mission is a safe one, intended to heal the wounds incurred at the hands of Dr. Strange. He has not told me much about his specific purpose or the man he says he has gone to meet. I convinced him to bring his batcommunicator.

He winced when I brought up the device, as if any reminder of his career as Batman was still too painful to acknowledge.

I very much hope this current rejection of that aspect of his life's work is a phase which shall pass. For my sake, and for the sake of Gotham City, I pray that we have not seen the last of the Batman.