Wednesday, April 26, 2006

258. Dick Grayson (letter from Houston, TX)

Dear Bruce,
I just wanted to follow up on a few things after our phone call last night. (Don't worry--of course I remember how I'm sending this and to whom I'm writing. You taught me well, you know.)

First, let me say it was so wonderful to hear your voice again after all this time. It sounds like things are going great for you and that your life is back on track at last. I can't wait to see you and meet your new ... companion.

Actually, to be honest, I'm kind of dreading that last part, just as I don't exactly look forward to introducing you to Oliver. He's an extraordinary man, as I'm sure Carl is. But we all know this is going to be awkward for everyone involved, and we'll just have to get through it somehow or other. It is, after all, work that is bringing Oliver and me to Gotham--work that looks like it will necessarily involve you and Carl as well. Perhaps the fact that we all share a common purpose now will be enough to help us push through the surface complexities.

Speaking of which: re lodging, there is no reason to apologize or explain about my apartment being sublet. I'm just incredibly thankful that you have kept up rent payments for it for all these months, with no evidence that I would ever return. Your commitment to me through thick and thin is truly humbling.

Oliver and I have primarily been staying in motels and shelters for the last six months, so we're pretty good at it by now, and we don't mind doing it a little longer, at least until my apartment becomes available again.

Please thank Alfred for handling our flight reservations for us (and thank you for covering the cost of both tickets!). I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. We'll see you very soon, I'm sure. As I mentioned, Oliver and I have just one more piece of unfinished business to take care of before we leave Houston. As soon as that is done, we'll be on our way to Gotham.

In the meantime, take care of yourself, Bruce. I promise I'll do the same.

Love,
Dick