Thursday, July 15, 2004

27. Bruce

It has begun.

I brought Grayson to the Cave once again last night. This time, I showed him my face. Standing before him with my mask removed, I felt almost naked. I'm certain he could not see it, but I sensed myself shaking, sweating, my throat parched, my breathing shallow. And then, after a moment, I felt lighter, as if a great weight had been lifted from me.

For twenty years I have held on to this secret more dearly than life itself. For twenty years I have waited for the right time, the right man, one I could trust. Alfred knows this side of me, but given the nature of our relationship he can never fully share my experience.

Have I made the wrong choice? It is too late now to turn back... and that awareness only made the moment of my unmasking all the more highly charged.

I have given Grayson a gift: my fate, in his hands.

And I have made him an offer. Time will tell what he makes of it.