Thursday, July 01, 2004

4. Dick

I probably can't say what exactly I was expecting would happen at midnight, but I certainly thought it would have begun with a knock at the door. You can imagine how surprised I was to hear a soft tap at the window instead -- even more so because for at least half an hour I'd had the funniest feeling I was being watched.

Did I say "surprised"? The whole thing scared the shit out of me. And for the first time it dawned on me that this all could have been a hoax. If the local tv stations had figured out how to track me down, then so could any nutjob in Gotham. What the fuck had I gotten myself into?

I stood there staring out the window at a masked man cloaked by darkness and a huge billowing cape. What little I could make out of him looked like the man at the bank, but how could I know for sure?

My heart was already racing from sheer anticipation. This new shudder of doubt was almost more than I could take.